Since 2012, loveholidays has been enabling customers to search for the right holiday by the type of holiday (beach, kids club, less than £250 per person), not just where and when our customers want to go on holiday. This approach has been one of the building blocks that has taken us to be the 4th largest package operator in the UK and allowed us to win several prestigious growth awards on route - including fastest growing company in the UK in 2019!
At loveholidays, we have over 4.5 million visitors each month and process half a trillion hotel room & flight combinations into holiday packages every day, securing a booking on average every ~30 seconds. Holiday data feeds into sophisticated real time search and machine learning recommendation systems, all hosted on cutting edge cloud infrastructure, to provide our customers with industry leading technology for finding the best holiday.
Our Platform team is an important part of our business consisting of 30+ team members - within this area is our Data Engineering function, which we are looking to expand due to ambitious growth plans over the next 12 months. They will be pivotal in helping us to build & develop our Data Mesh using Python & the Apache ecosystem.
As a Data Engineer, you will contribute to the evolution of data at loveholidays, which includes ingestion and processing of raw data, as well as working with the business to identify and exploit new data opportunities.
What you'll be working on:
- Running and improving our core ETL systems (Airflow, PySpark, Bigquery)
- Owning of the quality and simplicity of the system
- Helping to drive our transition to a Data Mesh by enabling our product teams to create Data Products
- Learning about new approaches in Data Engineering and bringing them to bear in our day-to-day work
We have recently completed a large-scale migration of our ETL system onto Google Cloud Platform / Airflow / Bigquery and the next phase in our journey is to start building a Data Mesh at loveholidays, to truly unlock the power of our data.
You should have:
- An understanding of SQL databases & schemas - we use BigQuery
- Proficiency in Python - you will be able to talk through the tools & frameworks you have used
- Knowledge of the Apache ecosystem - preferably Airflow & Spark
- Cloud Data Warehouse exposure - we use GCP, but are open to someone with AWS experience also
- The ability to adapt and pick up new skills/technologies quickly
What we'll give back to you:
- A competitive salary + annual bonus
- Heavily discounted holidays for you, your family and friends - trust us we have some great hotels!
- The best equipment for doing the job - MacBooks or X1 Carbons are our choice
- Discounted gym membership at Virgin Active (right next to our offices!)
- 25 days of annual leave + bank holidays
- Up to 10% Pension (5% matched) - we partner with Royal London
- High degree of autonomy in a strong collaborative environment
- Regular career and development reviews
Underpinning our work is a common set of ideas which have been refined and evolved as we scaled our engineering capabilities. We have extracted these into explicit principles so they can influence the changes we make as we continue to grow.
Those who succeed here are self-motivated and eager to learn. Our culture is low on hierarchy and we value outcomes over how many hours you work.
Click “apply” to easily share your details with us, and we promise to respond quickly to all applications.