We are a rapidly growing online travel agency with technology at the heart of our success. In 2022, we sent millions of people on their dream holiday.
With a million visitors a day, our 100+ services handle 8k requests per second, while maintaining p95 search latency of 150ms. Our observability captures and processes 1TB of logs a day and 350k metric samples a second.
We focus on differentiation by relying heavily on open source, while also giving back through contributions to public repositories, open sourcing in-house tools and sponsoring conferences.
As our first Site Reliability Engineer, you will contribute to the evolution of SRE practices like incident management, blameless postmortems, SLOs and error budgets. You will contribute to building reliable, performant, auto-scalable and highly available systems. You will have support of the existing Platform Infrastructure team.
- The application of our engineering principles through a SRE lens.
- Leveling up of SRE practices across the teams.
- Improvement of reliability KPIs of the platform.
- Help balance reliability with feature delivery using SLOs and error budgets.
Our engineering teams own the lifecycle of services from first commit to high-load operation in production. Your responsibility will be to help engineering teams succeed at operations, not to run their services for them.
What you'll be working on
- Exposing slow running code paths in critical applications using tools like Java Flight Recorder or Go’s pprof.
- Writing tools or modifying existing applications with reliability and performance in mind.
- Ensuring our systems and their individual components can withstand x10 load by improving our performance testing.
- Shortening mean time to discovery and recovery with improvements to observability and alerting.
- Exposing system weaknesses with Chaos Engineering.
Our runtime architecture is Service Based and hosted on Google Cloud Platform. Our engineering teams provision and manage their services' infrastructure with Infrastructure As Code using Terraform and Kubernetes.
We place a strong focus on observability, continually evolving our monitoring and alerting stack, currently centred around the Mimir (Prometheus), Grafana, Loki, Tempo ecosystem. Our service mesh (Linkerd) provides uniform observability of all production services at 10s intervals.
Performance and scalability are integral to our software and infrastructure development process, achieved by combining Computer Science fundamentals and cutting edge cloud technologies.
You should have a good understanding of
What we'll give back to you
- Company pension contributions at 5%.
- Training budget for you to learn on the job and level yourself up.
- Discounted holidays for you, your family and friends.
- 25 days of holidays per annum (plus 8 public holidays) increases by 1 day for every second year of service, up to a maximum 30 days per annum.
- Ability to buy and sell annual leave.
- Cycle to work scheme, season ticket loan and eye care vouchers.